How Can an Enrolled Agent Help Me?

Enrolled Agents advise and represent sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations, as well as other organizations with tax-reporting requirements. If your business is currently in a position where you require professional, ethical representation, hiring an enrolled agent could prove to be a very intelligent move.

Before you make a commitment, it is important to talk with your enrolled agent about how his or her expertise may assist you. Enrolled agents’ proficiency in the constantly evolving field of taxation enables them to effectively represent business owners and taxpayers audited by the IRS. In addition to tax representation, enrolled agents may offer business consultation services which can include financial planning, budgeting and statement preparation, all of which can serve to help prevent a future tax audit.

Enrolled Agents are trained in a wide range of tax situations, from the very common to the somewhat unusual. With the yearly changes to the tax laws, it’s more critical than ever to have a qualified tax specialist on your side when preparing your tax and financial strategy. 

What is an Enrolled Agent?

An enrolled agent (EA) is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent business owners and taxpayers for audits, collections and appeals before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service. Enrolled Agents are federally licensed tax practitioners, who have technical expertise in the field of taxation and representation.  Enrolled Agents hold the highest credential that the IRS awards.

Enrolled agents adhere to a stringent code of ethics and rules of professional conduct. They are robust, experienced, well-trained tax professionals who successfully represent their clients and work diligently on their behalf to see that the tax code is fairly applied and reasonably enforced.

What Sets Enrolled Agents Apart From the Rest

Enrolled agents are the only taxpayer representatives who receive their right to practice directly from the U.S. Government. CPAs and attorneys are licensed by states (and their licenses are specific to the states in which they practice).  It’s important to know that all enrolled agents specialize in taxation,

unlike attorneys and CPAs, who do not always possess quite the same sharp focus.Enrolled agents demonstrate their competence in matters of taxation. An enrolled agent is one who has earned the privilege of representing taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service by either passing a three-part comprehensive IRS test covering individual and business tax returns, or through experience as a former employee of the IRS. They report hours of Continuing Professional Education to the IRS.

Thinking about hiring an Enrolled Agent?  Contact Us